New Jersey Department of Education

DOE A to Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #

Keeping Our Kids Safe, Healthy & In School

Student Records

Getting a copy of school records

The New Jersey Department of Education does not maintain copies of individual student records.

From a public school

To get a copy of school records from a public school, contact the local school district. For contact information, the NJ School Directory is available at the following address:

From a nonpublic school

If the nonpublic school had an affiliation with a larger organization, contact that organization to see if they can help you.  For example, a Catholic school is part of a Diocese.  If the school was not part of a larger organization, you will have to pursue other ways of investigating and tracking down records.  Most nonpublic schools are listed in the NJ School Directory, which is available at the following address:

Certifying school records

All states have the authority to authenticate documents.  This is necessary when people go oversees for various reasons, such as adoption, employment, school, dual citizenship, foreign exchange, etc., and the country requires the certification of important documents.  Depending upon the country, documents can include marriage licenses, high school/GED diplomas, college degrees, transcripts from high schools/colleges, employment records, health records, date of birth, etc.
In New Jersey, the Division of Revenue in the Department of the Treasury reviews the applicable documents which already must be notarized.  Constituents must send a cover letter, along with notarized documents and application, and indicate which country they will be traveling to.  There are also applicable fees.
Depending upon the country, some require a certification only and others require the Apostilles, which is a special authentication issued for documents for use in countries that participate in the Hague Convention of 1961.

For information on how to certify school records:

Go to Treasury’s Web site at: 
State of New Jersey - Department of the Treasury
Division of Revenue
33 West State Street, 5th Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608

Student Education Records and Privacy Rights (U.S. Department of Education)

There are several federal laws governing students' rights as it pertains to public records, which include the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA). For information on these laws and student and family rights, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s Protecting Student Privacy webpage here.